:zz: Not changing cells / slices

Also--

>In fact the idea of
>"export" really doesn't make too much sense ... at least it becomes
>analogous to the "save to disk" option in Netscape - getting a
>snapshot of something that might change at any moment.

If you'll refer to my screed on Slices sent on July 14,
 :zz: ZigZag Design Notes: SLICE LOGIC 1  (d6
 I believe it covers the issue of change by cloning and uncloning.
 (An instance of the same cell which has connections in none
 of the same dimensions is merged into it;
 an instance of the same cell which has incompatible
 connections in the same dimensions is made a clone,
 during the time of slice cohabitation.

ChrzT

At 06:30 PM 10/2/98 +1000, you wrote:
>Ted Nelson wrote:
>> I know, but I wasn't thinking of a URL.
>
>This doesn't mean it isn't :)
>
>URL stands for "Universal Resourse Locator" and that's what we're
>trying to do - right?  Locate resources?
>
>> Consider the references in OSMIC-- they're not
>>  to URLs; they're to specific byte ranges in the
>>  primedia scroll and to specific operations in the Oplist.
>> We could encapsulate these somehow in a URL,
>>  but consider that to get a specific portion of
>>  the primedia we would have to have a CGI script
>>  on the server.
>
>Nope.  The OSMIC server can already do what we need.  And the
>URL for OSMIC would look something like this:
>
>osmic://localhost/2-4,588-798,3,45-366
>
>See?  It -is- a reference to byte ranges in the Primedia
>scroll.
>
>And since ZigZag cells can only -display- data at this point, we don't
>need to encode the operations.  That's a problem for the cell-editing
>facility.
>
>> What I had had in mind was different-- a local
>>  primedia scroll and references within it.
>
>Same thing :)
>
>Incidentally, because of how the OSMIC server works it doesn't matter
>if I access my primedia scroll, or xanadu.net's, or happydoodle's,
>etc.  The OSMIC server doesn't "know" if it's getting a connection
>from the same machine or the other side of the world.
>
>> (When a cell is exported, however, that complicates it, since the
>> primedia would have to be exported as well, probably with its cosmic
>> address...)
>
>That does complicate things, yes.  But they're already complicated if
>we can reference files and programs from Cells.  In fact the idea of
>"export" really doesn't make too much sense ... at least it becomes
>analogous to the "save to disk" option in Netscape - getting a
>snapshot of something that might change at any moment.
>
>Gossamer
>
>--
>: Gossamer     gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  | Xanadoodler
>: http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/  | And proud of it :)
>: There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of
>: in your philosophy.  -- William Shakespeare, 'Hamlet', Act I Scene 5

 Home Fax from USA: 011-81-466-46-7368  (If in Japan, 0466-46-7368)
Professorial home page http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/
Permanent: Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
Quotation of the day, 98.10.05:
"All you have to do to work on ZigZag is fully unscrew your head
and put it down in a safe place where it can be sure to watch you."
TN 98.09.25