decimal counting sequences less than 1 (wuz Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Warning: Tree raster can hang you

Geez!  I thought this was settled centuries ago !-)  T

At 01:34 PM 7/16/00 +0300, you wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 06:09:11AM +0300, Tuomas J. Lukka wrote:
>> But there's a standards problem: some people have used
>>
>> 	0.1
>> 	0.2
>> 	0.3
>> 	0.9
>> 	0.10
>> 	0.11
>>
>> and other use them as numbers; 0.11 is between 0.1 and 0.2.
>> It's common enough to make me want to avoid it.
>
>True.  Nevertheless, in my own programs I've used the first scheme with
>no problems.
>
>> > (Think of 0.10 being newer than 0.9.)
>>
>> Yuck. NEVER.
>
>What's the problem (beyond the above)?  You just need to consider the
>version number as consisting of period-separated natural number fields.
>
>This is, for example, the version scheme imposed by dpkg on packages
>(except that dpkg uses alphanumeric fields).

>> > And I dislike floating-point versions :-)
>>
>> For what reason?
>
>I'll quote you: "yuck".  It's a personal preference.

>> > It's just that it's more standard.  (At least where I come from.)
>>
>> 0.01 is pretty much standard on CPAN.
>
>Perl (including the stuff on CPAN) is about the only one using this
>style, AFAIK.
>
>Anyway, it's your and Ted's call.
>--
>%%% Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho % gaia@xxxxxx % http://www.iki.fi/gaia/ %%%

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965