segmented numbers ... we have a name for it (wuz Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Warning: Tree raster can hang you

Hey!  TUMBLERS!
>thus 0.1.0 is the second release of the first version.

ChrzT

At 01:51 PM 7/16/00 +0300, you wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 06:24:31AM +0300, Tuomas J. Lukka wrote:
>> The confusion for the users. Even alphabetic ordering goes against
>> this scheme. you'll find lots of users downloading 0.9 even though you're
>> up to 0.13.
>
>The solution is to highlight the lastest version, and provide the old
>releases behind a curtain.  Look at how SourgeForge manages the file
>releases, for example.
>
>> Any realistic reason?
>
>I find it hard to estimate the "completeness" of the release, or
>the closeness to the next "whole" number, or the "bigness" of a step
>forward, compared to the whole way from 0 to 1.  Thus one rapidly gets
>into a situation where one has releases 0.9, 0.99, 0.999, 0.9999, ... or
>something else as stupid.  I like a scheme where there is no upper bound
>for any field.
>
>> Also, there's the semantics: what's 0.1.0 supposed to mean? A big
>> step forwards?
>
>MAJOR.MINOR.PATCHLEVEL
>
>is something that is commonly used.  Thus 0.1.0 would be the second
>minor release, unpatched.
>
>Or:
>
>VERSION.RELEASE.PATCHLEVEL
>
>thus 0.1.0 is the second release of the first version.
>
>--
>%%% Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho % gaia@xxxxxx % http://www.iki.fi/gaia/ %%%

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965