Re: HotZiggity resets the BIOS ?!?

This is bad.

I thought that Linux kept its own BIOS in RAM.

Andrew?

At 11:23 AM 6/23/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Help. I put zigzag's floppy in my Gateway p-5 120. It has two drives. One
>has now ceased to be recognized on boot.
>
>What I did before this happened:
>
>Started the machine;
>realized the boot floppy was still in it, and I didn't want to run zigzag
>then;
>hit the reset button.
>
>Presto, no drives atall.
>
>Shut down completely. started up again.
>
>Presto, no second drive. AAAAAgh!
>
>I've done a cold start a few times, the BIOS stuff no longer lists that
>drive, just takes a while to try, then moves on.
>
>I tried booting completely from the floppy, then shutting off the machine,
>then a normal startup.
>
>I can't help thinking this zigzag floppy has done something to my computer.
>Is this possible? Hard to believe an unrelated coincidental toasting like
>this. The second hard disk is just gone as far as the BIOS is concerned. My
>next step is to open it up and start jiggling wires...
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Peter

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Word of the day:
CATEGORGY
  Mingling and overlapping subjects promiscuously, in a party atmosphere.
(Ted Nelson, 98.06.23)