[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Fwd: In-Band Information Considered Harmful
- To: xanadu@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Fwd: In-Band Information Considered Harmful
- From: Bek Oberin <gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 23:02:52 +1100
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>; from Lasse Hillerøe Petersen on Tue, Oct 27, 1998 at 09:19:23AM +0100
- References: <36349253.4E91@xxxxxxxx>; <188.8.131.52.19981026195901.01060bc0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <36349253.4E91@xxxxxxxx> <19981027120142.B6044@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: xanadu@xxxxxxxxxx
Lasse Hillerøe Petersen wrote:
> >Rich Pasco wrote:
> >> Why harmful? Looking to see your article.
> >For the purposes of Perl, because this:
> > <EM>H</EM>elpful info
> >does not match if you search for "Helpful info" which makes
> >it bad.
> In fact the above is abuse of markup for typographical purposes. EM was
> never intended to be used that way, if I'm not much mistaken. But of course
> people can and thus will abuse markup that way.
True, but there are other non-abuse ones that will have effectively
the same action. That one was just the first I thought of :)_
Thanks for telling us about the mac word processors that work this
way - I didn't know there were any!
: gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/
: Inhibitions are just our way of protecting our selves from the
: world. Sometimes they should be listened to, when they're
: really telling you what you really feel deep down. Otherwise,
: they need to be met, and handled back into their proper place -
: as cautions rather than barricades to experience
: -- Marian Starwatcher