[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: Fwd: In-Band Information Considered Harmful
- To: xanadu@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: Fwd: In-Band Information Considered Harmful
- From: Bek Oberin <gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 12:01:42 +1100
- In-reply-to: <36349253.4E91@xxxxxxxx>; from Rich Pasco on Mon, Oct 26, 1998 at 07:16:35AM -0800
- References: <188.8.131.52.19981026195901.01060bc0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <36349253.4E91@xxxxxxxx>
- Reply-to: xanadu@xxxxxxxxxx
Rich Pasco wrote:
> Why harmful? Looking to see your article.
For the purposes of Perl, because this:
does not match if you search for "Helpful info" which makes
This can be a major problem for search engines etc.
If you have the markup OUT of band (ie, as suggested, in a separate
file, or at the end of the file, etc.) you don't get the problem.
Yes, you -could- teach the search engines HTML, but then we have to
keep updating them when HTML changes, or for a different sort of
markup, etc. If it's out of band, it's EASY.
: gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/
: Play with color, form, light, shadows, space, sound, words,
: silence, taste, smells. *Everywhere* is a playground.
: -- Michael Joseph, 'Play Therapy'