Introduction

Hello:  I am interested in the work surrounding hypertext.  I would very much
like to get a status report on where this topic sits at this time.

I came across this, earlier, from the government RFP solicitation site:
http://www.eps.gov/spg/NASA/ARC/OPDC20220/NASA-SNOTE-020108-001/Synopsis.html

"A special briefing to introduce you to NASA's newest patent-pending data
mining technology is being held at NASA Ames Research Center. The briefing is
an opportunity for your firm to license PERILOG, and leverage its powerful
capabilities for your software solutions products. Product Profile: PERILOG
unearths data that is contextually relevant to the subject being
investigated. The software measures the degree of contextual association for
large numbers of terms pairs in text (or any other sequence) to produce
models that capture the structure of the text. PERILOG statistically compares
these models to measure their degree of similarity to a query model, develops
a ranking, and presents the search results to the user. Furthermore, the user
has access to powerful query tools that, for example, generate search options
automatically. The licensing event will be held at the NASA Ames Research
Center, Moffett Field, California, on Tuesday, January 29, 2002, from 10 a.m.
to noon and will include a light lunch. Please register on-line at
http://ettc.usc.edu/ames/perilog/homepage.html For additional information,
please contact Patrick Hung at 650-604-5063.Email your questions to Patrick
Hung at phung@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

Is there any relationship between "Data Mining", the business method, and
"Hypertext", the concept?  The reason I ask, is that I was thinking, today
[really hurts when I do that], and Xanadu seems like the perfect workaround
for XLink, a process that has never been realized to this date.  Further, my
disappointment with the unbelievably crude efforts at representing global
standards to the Public, has me looking for some approach to web
communications that will not be hobbled by corporate standards such as the
W3C.org folks are promoting.
Respectfully,
Tom Poe
2044 Plumas