Re: [IP] Google's Autolink: smart tags revisited?

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 07:49:07AM -0500, Dave Farber wrote:
> [...]

Both the MS "smart tags" and the Google "Autolinks" are limited
implementations of a decades long standing feature of many other
hypermedia systems but sadly missing from the web: extrinsic (as opposed
to the present embedded) links.  The problem is that those implementations
are apparently (or at least perceived to be) single-source.  Deployment
of an open standard which would permit users to apply their choice of
external link databases would resolve the complaints about one company
choosing what links are applied.  Let's hope we get something supported
by browsers soon - I for one have been waiting since the 1980s!

Regards,
	Andrew Pam
--
mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam