RE: (was Re: Is this that 'recovery' stuff I've heard so much about? I thought it was just fables for children.)

There's another perspective on this which is to do with cognitive modeling.

Paraphrasing from memory, it goes something like this:

Simple devices (tools, appliances, whatever) in which the user can easily
"see" the workings of the device have "surface structure". By this, it is
meant that the user can easily and obviously build a mental model of how it
works that is very direct in nature. They can see that turning the knob on a
door moves the metal tongue, for example. Easy. (They may not actually have
the details of the mechanism correct, but that doesn't matter. They have a
sufficient mental model for utility)

Devices with "deep structure" are those where the user cannot create such a
mental model without very specialized knowledge, or where sufficient
structure is simply not directly observable for a fabrication. VCR's fit
this model, especially the clocks on them. This is where the user can, at
best, "imagine" some possible machinery in the astract which helps them to
"figure things out". However, many people balk at this and end up simply
learning by rote variuos "scripts" whereby pushing buttons that have no
perceivable linkage to the results invoked seems to get the desired effect.
Overloaded buttons, that do different things in different modes, further
complicate this, requiring the user to build some kind of abstract "mode
model" in addition to the functional invocation model they're already
struggling with.

Part of the question thus becomes one of how deep your mental model, and
your mental modeling skills and knowledge to draw on, have become.

Software development is at the far end of the structure spectrum, where
programmer's routinely manipulate, and create, highly abstract "machines"
with very very deep structure.

$0.02

B.