Re: Xanadu & Mona Lisa

Charles Cameron wrote:

> Ted, Friends:
>
> Let me put a problem / issue before you...
>
> Suppose for a moment that the Mona Lisa is a digital artwork in which
> Leonardo has the rights.  Marcel Duchamp wants to make his own artwork
>
> which will be identical to Leonardo's, except that he is adding a
> moustache
> to Mona, and putting a small note at the bottom of the image which
> says
> LHOOQ (pronounced "elle a chaud au cul" -- "she has a hot ass" if my
> French
> is still working).  Clearly, the rights in Duchamp's work are largely
> Leonardo's, but the rights in the moustache and comment are Duchamp's.
>
> Now suppose that someone else wants to make another artwork which has
> the
> basic facial features of the Mona Lisa, but the outlines of nose,
> eyebrows,
> eyes, cheek, mouth and chin, etc., are to be "built" of neon strips --
> see:
>
>      http://losangelesdowntown.com/Neon.html
>
> Clearly, the derivation of this work from Leonardo's original is
> similar to
> the derivation of Duchamp's: but, so to speak, *all the pixels* have
> changed, in a way that they haven't in the Duchamp work.
>
> How does one (ie Xanadu) assess the dependence of this Neon Lisa on
> the
> original?
>
> This seems to me to be a problem in the comparison of structures,
> rather
> than a simple matter of quotation as with Duchamp.  How far has Xanadu
> come
> towards the point where this type of homology can be explored and
> quantified?
>
> I get the impression from Ted's own pages that this may be the sort of
>
> question that deeply interests him, the sort of thing addressed by his
>
> words:
>
> ::  I am especially concerned about parallelism in many ways:
> ::  parallel presentation on computer screens, parallel data
> ::  structures, and considering how things are alike and different,
> ::  which requires comparing them in parallel. This is what my
> ::  computer work is about.
>
> Any comments?

Yes, i have a comment. :-)

I had a look at the picture you quote. It is not that obvious, but i
think you could see this piece of art as "two-layered"; one layer still
represents the original Mona Lisa (just 10-5% visible, but still the
original), the 2nd layer is the "Neon-Layer" added with abstractions of
nose, lips, eybrowes as neon-strips.

Basically this could be compared to the process of getting the picture
using photoshop or something else. 1. Put Mona Lisa on layer one. 2.
Decrease transparency to 10%. 3. Set up a 2nd Layer. 4. start to draw
your own "extensions" to Mona ...

Could a layer-like structure be reflected by Xanadu ?!? (So to reflect,
or not to reflect seems to be the question).

Cheers.

Peter

* mailto: peter.infinidim@xxxxxxx * http://www.asca.de/infinidim  *
*   ... dear bill, 42 is the final answer, not 95 or 97 !!! ...   *