Re: :zz,unix: Probs running PC ZigZag from Linux

Andrew,

Wouldn't it be possible to have a preprocessor that
 checks the ZigZag file and fixes it for the current version,
 no matter what machine or format it's in?

I think we really need it.  The non-interoperability
 is already a great difficulty for me.

ChrzT

At 07:55 AM 7/9/99 +1000, you wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 04:33:26PM -0400, Marlene Mallicoat wrote:
>> >as an experiment, you could try running the Linux
>> >Zigzag with a Windows data file
>>
>> That's exactly what we were trying to do.  We moved the Windows data file
>> (zigzag.zz) over to a Linux directory called FromWindows and then ran Linux
>> zigzag.  I'll have to try it again to make sure that the data file was in
>> the directory with the Linux perl zigzag program.
>
>OK, if you've already tried that then the data formats probably aren't
>compatible, as I suspected.  Oh well.
>
>I gave slightly the wrong explanation for the error message.  It arises
>not because zigzag.pl is trying to run the wrong version of perl, but
>because the DOS line terminator is <CR><LF> and the Unix line terminator
>is just <LF>, so when you copy the file and try to execute it under
>Linux it sees the <CR> characters as actual characters in the program.
>
>This makes the first line "perl -w<CR>" and <CR> is not a valid option
>to perl, hence the help message.  Adding a "-h" when running zigzag
>doesn't do anything because you're providing the parameter to zigzag,
>not to perl, and it's perl that is printing that error message.
>
>Hope that helps,
>		*** Xanni ***
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.com.au/                       Chief Scientist, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technical Editor, Glass Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 3 9419-2989

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Scholar, University of Southampton, Southampton, England
 e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx    world-wide fax 1/415/331-4422
 http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/

- - - - - Coordinates In Japan
 Home Fax:
 (from USA): 011-81-466-46-7368  (from Japan, 0466-46-7368)
- - - - - Coordinates in USA
 Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/332-0136
 http://www.xanadu.net