[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [zzdev] :zz,xos: Re: Open Source, more
- To: zzdev@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [zzdev] :zz,xos: Re: Open Source, more
- From: Andrew Pam <xanni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 01:18:29 +1100
- Cc: Ted Nelson <ted@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Marlene Mallicoat <75231.762@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ed Harter <eharter@xxxxxxxxxx>
- In-reply-to: <18.104.22.168.19990326161627.00933100@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; from Ted Nelson on Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 04:16:27PM -0800
- References: <22.214.171.124.19990323115030.00adad50@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <126.96.36.199.19990323115030.00adad50@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <19990326132343.A8355@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <188.8.131.52.19990326161627.00933100@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Reply-to: zzdev@xxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Mar 26, 1999 at 04:16:27PM -0800, Ted Nelson wrote:
> In other words, sure you can sell it-- just as long as
> other people are free to give it away! (Correct me if wrong.)
> That's close enough to freebie public domain for my understanding.
> In other words, very hard to build a viable business. Red Hat has--
> but not nec the other Linux distributors.
> Am I missing something?
Yes. "Public domain" has a very specific legal meaning. If you want
others to be careful with your definitions, please be careful with
existing definitions. "Public domain" means that you have given up all
rights in a work. As Bek has correctly pointed out, that is certainly
not what "open source" means.
mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx Andrew Pam
http://www.xanadu.com.au/ Technical VP, Xanadu
http://www.glasswings.com.au/ Technical Editor, Glass Wings
http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/ Manager, Serious Cybernetics
P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia Phone +61 3 96511511