[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [zzdev] :zz,pdm,spi,virt: the continuing OS thread
- To: zzdev@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [zzdev] :zz,pdm,spi,virt: the continuing OS thread
- From: Andrew Pam <xanni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 20:02:52 +1000
- In-reply-to: <220.127.116.11.19981009181813.00818aa0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; from Ted Nelson on Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 06:18:13PM +0900
- References: <18.104.22.168.19980630000324.014597e0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <22.214.171.124.19980630000324.014597e0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <19981002014124.O2218@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <126.96.36.199.19981002005224.00888850@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <19981002020701.R2218@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <188.8.131.52.19981002020340.008943c0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <19981002040802.C3101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <184.108.40.206.19981002033904.00853bf0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <19981009030138.B450@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <220.127.116.11.19981009181813.00818aa0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Reply-to: zzdev@xxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Oct 09, 1998 at 06:18:13PM +0900, Ted Nelson wrote:
> 1) My principal point is that it's not just a data structure.
> Like any idea, but more than most, it can be made the
> center of a complete all-encompassing paradigm for
> the structuring of interaction, the structuring of relationships,
> the structuring of programs, the structuring of utilities.
> Existing operating systems are based on files, directories,
> and hierarchies, with a lot of string-referential mechanisms
> for the selection and manipulation of these things. That is
> not merely the file structure, it is the unifying conceptual
> structure. I am proposing another unifying conceptual
> structure. Drivers can be added !-)
Well explained sir!
> Repeating Andrew's second remark above:
> >However, that doesn't
> >make Zigzag a complete OS in itself.
> 2) I didn't say it *is*. Could be. And the point I am
> making to my students, and y'all readers, is that things
> could be *completely different*. Most people don't get that.
Yes indeed. I think we definitely agree there.
*** Xanni ***
mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx Andrew Pam
http://www.xanadu.com.au/ Technical VP, Xanadu
http://www.glasswings.com.au/ Technical Editor, Glass Wings
http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/ Manager, Serious Cybernetics
P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia Phone +61 3 96511511