Snippets

Hi,

I've recently used Google to search for "GZigZag," and here are some
results that caught my attention. I think it is interesting and useful
to know how some people understand (sometimes: misunderstand) and judge
ZigZag. The snippets are in no particular order.

- Benja

Joshua Allen <http://static.userland.com/userLandDiscussArchive/msg021373.html>:
     For point 1, I just wanted to make sure that the impact
     of this sentiment in OSS is not dismissed. One example I go to
     is Ted Nelson's "ZigZag" stuff (gzigzag @ sourceforge.net).
     He has been working on this for a few years, but still
     most real people have not seen it or benefitted from it.
     The problem is, the only developers he can get working for the
     project insist on developing for Linux and Java, and Windows
     is an afterthought. This tool has huge potential to "wake
     up" the web, but has gone almost nowhere. If you contrast
     napster, which ran on Windows, to many OSS projects that
     arbitrarily and capriciously decide that Windows isn't clear,
     you can see how I feel that an anti-MS sentiment can often
     greatly reduce the overall impact of an OSS project. This is
     just one thing I see as a recent side-effect of the mood; I am
     sure that others can think of other good or bad things that
     come from this attitude. So I was just saying, "it's true, and
     has interesting consequences, so please don't dismiss it too
quickly."

Sanemagazine horoscopes <http://www.sanemagazine.com/horoscopes183.html>:
    [Horoscopes. GZigZag!. Ted Nelson's ZigZag given a
     Java implementation.]

(Benja: No, I have no clue why it's on a horoscope page, either.)

Usability Forum <http://www.usability-forum.com/veranstaltungen/archiv/25May2001095437.shtml>:
    Cfp: Zigzag Workshop, Hypertext 2001

(Benja: What stuck me about this is that the workshop would be mentioned
as a "usability forum." ZZ certainly has the potential to become very
usable, but the current implementations... well... ;o) )

Will Newton <http://www.ctanet.fr/~sheflug/mailarchive/2001/02/msg00152.html>:
    > I'm intrigued by the idea of 2-way links but I
    > don't have any idea what Xanadu is or how it achieves
    > them.  Hypercard has/d only 1-way links I think.

    Xanadu (or some version of it) is available from
    somewhere. :) www.xanadu.org is offline, ah,
    www.gzigzag.org is where it's at. I think
    Xanadu disappeared and is now zig zag, or something. :)

Kevin Turner <http://www.twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2001-July/000102.html>:
    >       Example 2:
    >         Information management.

    Another good place to look for examples of information
    management (in addition to what churchr mentioned) is
    at Zigzag, Ted Nelson's brainchild.  There's an
    implementation now that's at least far along enough
    that you can play with it at http://gzigzag.sourceforge.net/ .
    I don't feel it's quite to the point where it's ready to take
    off on its own, as the applications for it are rather
    incomplete and the only chunks of data you can really use in
    the default interface are one-line strings, but it's a toy from
    which you might be able to learn something about dense
    bidirectoinal hyperlinking.