Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] VobScene

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 10:35:53PM +1000, Andrew Pam wrote:
> On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 02:34:12PM +0300, Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > Clipping, yes. Speed, no. For example, if we are drawing only lines and
> > strings of text, the X render extension can draw the antialiased text
> > natively.
>
> ...but not arbitrary images.
>
> > OTOH, rotating an image by a non-90deg angle must be done in software
> > and is pretty time-consuming. Especially if we have to move it from
> > the server to the client space.
>
> Hmmm.  Looks like a good place for another X extension... :)  I believe
> Berlin can do this, BTW.  Also a good place for hardware support...

OpenGL can do it if using texturing. The question is whether textured
polygons rendre fast enough to be useful for text. Another nasty thing
is that X Render extension's text is rendered by the auto-hinting renderer
in freetype, which gives a superior letter quality compared to just
reducing bitmaps and antialiasing.

	Tuomas