Re: [zzdev] Re: [zzdev] Raster-specific keybindings

You wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Benjamin Fallenstein wrote:
> > Tuomas Lukka wrote:
> > I'd say let's talk this through again when we actually have a
> > performance problem: it might well be we need to change the current
> > system out of design considerations before.
>
> True. I don't like optimizing for performance too early but I do like
> having a clear way available to optimize performance from the very first.

Right. Let's keep in mind your clone intersection idea. And if that's
not enough -- well, then we'll do the intersection searching when the
raster is changed, and make a new cursor that points there. That's
somewhat clumsy, but we won't have a performance problem compared to the
system we had up to now for some time then.

> > *nod*. Well, I think one thing we should keep in mind to try out at some
> > point is shifting the responsibilty for the recursion needed in many
> > rasters to a higher-level instance, so that a minimal raster only
> > specifies a method that returns all connections of a cell in this
> > raster.
>
> I've thought about this but the problem is that defing that generally is
> difficult but limited versions run into limitations very quickly.

Right. I'll try to collect my thoughts on this at some point. (I have
some, but they need some generalization.)

I haven't been able to do a consistent draft on versioning. All
approaches I would have liked proved to be mathematically impossible...
I still hope that there is some good way for local versioning in ZZ, and
that it'll be found. Looking forward to the results of your meeting with
Ted (not only in respect to versioning).

In the spec there's something about selectors to complement paths: is
this implemented yet? That could be helpful in order to generalize the
level raster -- it could even be used for Ted's genealogy stuff,
although this would require some more serious changes which I'm unable
to do right now. But maybe over the next few weeks...

- Benja