:zz: Headcells (was Re: [zzdev] Some smaller notes

Herr Fallenstein schrieb:

>Go to headcell (HEAD and CHEAD?) takes a direction as argument and
>positions a view's cursor on the headcell in that direction. So, you

Thanks for pointing this out.

Shouldn't take a direction, just a rank.  Headcell is defined
 as the negend except in a looping rank, where it's user-specified
 (or defaulted to original headcell before loop was closed).

ChrzT

At 12:00 PM 7/27/00 +0200, you wrote:
> [...]
>Anyway, it's something to be fixed. (It wouldn't be as bad if y would
>invoke z during navigation, but then, this mustn't happen in text
>editing mode!)
>
>An almost-bug is that the default height of the windows is 700. It's
>straightforward to make a window *bigger* if you want it, but if you
>want to make a window *smaller* and the part of the window you do that
>with is outside the screen area, you're lost (at least if you are a
>novice user of a platform, like me, who doesn't know the magic ways to
>do it anyway). To use the 0726 snapshot, I had to understand the code of
>ZZWindows first, to know that I had to insert d.bounds to the dimension
>list, and rotate to it with the cursor on the window's cell -- not a
>recommended user interface. ;)
>
>And... the width of the billowing text should be the width of the window
>the text is rastered into. That would make *much* more sense. (Also,
>up/down keys for last line/next line should be easy to implement: take
>the x coordinate of the current insertion cursor, use an y coordinate in
>the line above, and use the same code you'd use to translate a user's
>mouse click to a position in the text.)
>
>Here are some suggestions, which you can as well see as questions: is
>something like this implemented or planned yet, and where can I find out
>about it? And everything which isn't is a suggestion. :) They are
>requests for primitive operations, which should be really
>straight-forward: fetch cursor, and go to headcell. I've done
>implementations of both, but as I'm not really familiar with gZZ coding
>style yet (and not with diff, either -- I don't even have it here), it's
>probably easier for you to implement them from scratch than to use my
>code.
>
>Fetch cursor (FETCH and CFETCH?) positions one view's cursor on the same
>cell as the other one's. This is helpful when you haven't used the
>Control view for some time, and want to use it for the '/' connecting op
>now -- you want to 'fetch' it from the distant point in the structure
>where it currently is. I use '<' and '>' as keys (< to fetch the control
>view, and > to fetch the data view; this is handy on the German keymap,
>where < is a non-shift key, as you need to fetch the control view more
often).

>Go to headcell (HEAD and CHEAD?) takes a direction as argument and
>positions a view's cursor on the headcell in that direction. So, you
>could either have a binding like Alt-Up to go up to the headcell on Y-,
>or a headcell key like ö (probably nothing for US keyboards, but I'm not
>aware which US keys still are free :)), which is followed by a cursor
>key and then does the same (similar to the new cell, clone etc. ops
>which take a cursor key as argument). Go to headcell is very helpful in
>navigating lists, long or short; I use gZZ to take notes in an (almost)
>corner list structure, and go to headcell is great when I want to go

Theodor Holm Nelson
Project Professor, Keio University SFC Campus, Fujisawa, Japan
Visiting Professor, University of Southampton, England
 ?  e-mail: ted@xxxxxxxxxx   ?  world-wide fax 1/415/332-0136
 ?  http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    ?  http://www.xanadu.net
 ? Coordinates in USA      Tel. 415/ 331-4422
  Project Xanadu, 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965