Re: [zzdev] Cursor Question

Hi Bek--

>Is it inherent that a cursor is implemented as a link?
>
>Yes, each cursor has to know which cell it's pointing at, but does
>that cell - and the rest of the grid - have to know the cursor's
>there?

Two levels of answers.

1.  I discovered this space, but other people can
 use it in their own ways.  Our software is intended
 to make that possible.

2.  The system I'm designing is the "director's cut".
 But other people can adjust it in lots of ways.

3.  I like the idea of having *no other mechanism*
 except cells (and mechanisms to enhance that first
 mechanism, like slices).

So yeah, two-way link for cursors is inherent in my
 design, but not in other plug-ins and customizations.

>Theoretically, could there be other types of cursors that
[than?]
> "action"
>and "data" cursors?

Sure!  This is just a first cut.  We could, for instance,
 have two cursors, or more, defining some area to
 be operated on.

Or they could be sprites on a playing field in a game.
 Or WHATever.

ChrzT

At 08:17 PM 7/14/98 +1000, you wrote:

>Weird question to do with some software engineering thoughts thorfy
>and I were having about ZZ:
>
>Is it inherent that a cursor is implemented as a link?
>
>Yes, each cursor has to know which cell it's pointing at, but does
>that cell - and the rest of the grid - have to know the cursor's
>there?
>
>Theoretically, could there be other types of cursors that "action"
>and "data" cursors?
>

>Gossamer
>
>--
>: Gossamer     gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  | Xanadoodler
>: http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/  | And proud of it :)
>: Listening receptively, without judgement, to even the smallest
>: stirrings within is a powerful act.
>: -- Wilma Friesema, 'The Healing Woman'
>
>----- End forwarded message -----
>
>--
>: Gossamer     gossamer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  | Xanadoodler
>: http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/  | And proud of it :)
>: Don't be afraid to take a big step if one is indicated, one can't
>: cross a chasm in two small jumps.  -- David Lloyd George

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day, 98.07.13:
"Obsolete power corrupts obsoletely."  TN86