Re: Foot-shooting

On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 09:29:43AM +1000, Gossamer wrote:
> How far do we go to stop people shooting themselves in the
> foot?
>
> You get a really cool crash if you delete the cursor - start up
> with a new dataset, press the left arrow 4 times and then delete.
> You'll have to ^Z and kill -9 %1 to make it go away, even.
>
> Should we check for this?  What about when people delete some of
> the 'main' dimesions from the dimension list, or do other "dumb"
> stuff??

Well, at the very least we should have enough error-checking to detect
these situations after they've happened and bail out gracefully with an
error message, rather than just freezing or crashing.  We should also look
at ways to change the design so it relies less on "magic" hard-coded
links.  Finally, we need to discuss what sort of restrictions and
conditions we could or should add to prevent users from causing trouble.

Cheers,
	*** Xanni ***
--
mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam