[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [zigzag] :zz: Childhood infls. on ZZ?
- To: zigzag@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [zigzag] :zz: Childhood infls. on ZZ?
- From: Andrew Pam <xanni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 04:24:01 +1000
- In-reply-to: <126.96.36.199.19980929004151.007a98d0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; from Ted Nelson on Tue, Sep 29, 1998 at 12:41:51AM +0900
- References: <199809241605_MC2-5A8B-1BB6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <188.8.131.52.19980929004151.007a98d0@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Reply-to: zigzag@xxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Sep 29, 1998 at 12:41:51AM +0900, Ted Nelson wrote:
> I was deeply impressed by the game of "Qubic"
> when I was 10 or 11. (It's still available.)
> Tic-tac-toe in 3D, 4x4x4. Quite simple really,
> and no special advantage to the center.
I played that; there's also an analagous 3D extension to chess.
I believe it was occasionally shown in Star Trek - both the original
and newer series - and a Trek branded 3D chess set is still available.
> Also by Heinlein's "And he Built a Crooked House"
> when I was 14 (a guy accidently builds a 4D house
> and gets lost there-- I think).
Yes. Great story. The house is built as a 3D projection of a tesseract
(intentionally) but due to an earthquake it folds itself up into 4-space
and the architect and client have some considerable trouble with it!
> I take this as a license to reminisce more
> on such matters whenever the fit overcomes me...
Share and enjoy,
*** Xanni ***
mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx Andrew Pam
http://www.xanadu.com.au/ Technical VP, Xanadu
http://www.glasswings.com.au/ Technical Editor, Glass Wings
http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/ Manager, Serious Cybernetics
P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia Phone +61 3 96511511