fwd: reply to some questions by the great Ken Knowlton [resend]

Hi Ken--

>What I hadn't
>figured out how to ask you in time was:  just how general is it -- e.g. can
>you easily
>build a partially ordered structure (as in a page layout program, can you
>a relation COMPLETELY-LEFT-OF, where things that overlap horizontally DON'T
>have this link, many others do, like a diagonal mesh with lots of links

I think so, definitely.

One of the things I want to do with this is create
 edit programs where you have access to cellular
 components (like paragraphs, embedded database items)
 and then it projects outward to "page" visualizations.

>Also, if the display is more than alphanumeric, do you have a freer display
>for example, the same node need not have multiple appearances but instead
>appears just once, with the connections appropriately twisted around?

That's a display routine you could write.
 One of the forms of extensibility is New Views.

>It's clear that it would be fun to build lots of things.  I think of it as
>somewhat in the
>spirit of my L6, but with a slightly more focused purpose.

Well, the purpose isn't exactly focused, but
 the structure is very specific!

Ken Knowlton, one of the pioneers of computer graphics,
 was making computer movies in the early nineteen-sixties
 at Bell Labs.  One of his projects was L6 (Labs' Lower-Level
 List Language).  I believe this was a set of macro routines
 for for batch processing which did list threading and
 added definable data structures.

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
Quotation of the day:  "Software is about the politics of standardization."
 Ted Nelson, 1997.