:c.rel: Quick Unified Zotticism

> Are unified field theories of software design realistic goals, or just
> Quixoticisms we share with each other?

Here's how it works.  There are MANY possible
 Unified Field (nice term, thank you) organizations
 of software-- Unix, APL, Perl, Macintosh, Windows,
 Java-- all of which propound overarching, compelling
 ways to organize the whole universe of software.

ZigZag is another one.

And there is no determinate reason to choose one over
 the other.

This is in the realm of religion.  Which is why I hope
 to do this book, "Computer Religions."

ChrzT

At 01:50 PM 6/24/98 +1000, you wrote:
>On Tue, Jun 23, 1998 at 03:17:42AM -0400, Laurie Spiegel wrote:
>> For those familiar with Mac, Apple's OpenDoc and Cyberdog may furnish
>> examples of related thinking, and for others more familiar with music
>> technology, the modular analog synthesis architectures of the 1960s versus
>> the complex "Sequencer" "applications" of today could illustrate the point.
>
>Excellent examples.  You're clearly a generalist after my own heart.
>
>> (Does any one else remember "Ocham" - Oxford Univ's elegantly simple
language
>> for distributed transputer networks a couple decades back?)
>
>Yes indeed!  Well pointed out.
>
>> Are unified field theories of software design realistic goals, or just
>> Quixoticisms we share with each other?
>
>Both!
>
>Share and enjoy,
>		*** Xanni ***
>--
>mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam
>http://www.xanadu.net/xanadu/                   Technical VP, Xanadu
>http://www.glasswings.com.au/                   Technical Editor, Glass Wings
>http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/                   Manager, Serious Cybernetics
>P.O. Box 26, East Melbourne VIC 8002 Australia  Phone +61 3 96511511

http://www.sfc.keio.ac.jp/~ted/    PERMANENT E-MAIL: ted@xxxxxxxxxx
 Home Fax: 0466-46-7368  From USA: 011-81-466-46-7368
Project Xanadu (Permanent)
 3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965
 Tel. 415/ 331-4422, fax 415/ 332-0136
http://www.xanadu.net
Quotation of the day:
"Knowledge is fractal: the boundary between the known and the unknown gets
longer and longer.  The more you know, the more you are aware of that you
don't know."  Ted Nelson, 98.06.23.