Re: International Xanadu Meetup Day

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 02:09:39PM +0200, ____Textpert Alert____ wrote:
> > It takes at least five people in a geographical location to allow
> > a meeting to take place. [...]
>
>   I'm sorry, who exactly is this "dis/allowing" party we all
>   of a sudden are supposed to be subjects of? Or else what?
>   Less than 5 people is not enough of a future marketing
>   opportunity for them, or something?

Yes, this is one of the big problems I have with meetup.com as well.
As far as I've been able to ascertain, they don't provide any method
for people interested in a particular topic to get each others' email
addresses or contact details or correspond with each other in any way
other than meeting physically at the appointed time and place.

This means that groups of less than five people in any one city will
be automatically sent a message every month stating that the scheduled
meeting is cancelled, with no way to get in touch and plan to go ahead
and get together anyway, or to raise interest and get more people, or
to meet with people in another city or elsewhere in the state or country.

I understand that there would be serious privacy problems with disclosing
contact details en masse, but they could at least give the self-selected
"hosts" in each group the option to make their contact details available
to facilitate coordination.

Anyway, to bring this back on topic for this mailing list, people are
of course welcome to propose Xanadu get-togethers on this list!

Cheers,
	Andrew
--
mailto:xanni@xxxxxxxxxx                         Andrew Pam