Re: Building Xanadu.....

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Antonio Maio wrote:

> Hi ya,
>

> Just curious, but what kind of platform does this system you've built
> run on?  It sounds very interesting!

The back end engine currently runs under Win16/Windows95/NT.  Most of it
has been ported to the Mac and finishing the port should only take an
evening.  (I had everything running on the Mac. not too long ago but I
need to port/recompile the changes I've made since then.)  I hope to have
a Unix port in not too long.  (Basically, it is a matter of when I get
around to doing it -- it should be quite trivial.)  All files are binary
compatible between platforms.

> I'm also wondering, if there is a manual way to copy files/documents on
this platform, what happens to the links when a document is copied (or
moved) to another location.  Basically I'm asking, are the links relative
or absolute... ie. does the operating system support the maintaining of
links when a document is moved to another location?

Yes, you can copy files/documents to another location and your links will
remain intact.  Links use a document ID so you would need to register the
move with a document database.  (Or, that could be built into the copy
program.)  You may also trade your links with others who have the same
document.

-Art

Art Pollard <PollardA@xxxxxxxxxx>
Moderator for Comp.Theory.Info-Retrieval
List Maintainer for the Hyper-Theory (Hypertext Theory) mailing list.

> Ciao,
> Antonio

> I have developed over the last several years the backend of what could
> become Xanadu someday.  (Or, a system which is comparable to Xanadu in
> functionality.)
>
> The back end engine is capable of providing for the management of Xanadu
> like documents.  Some of the attributes of documents which use the engine
> which I have developed as a backend are as follows:
>
> 1) Documents are stored compressed in approximately 1/2 of their original
>    space.
> 2) The document file contains:
> 	1) The text of the document
> 	2) An inverted index for the document
> 	3) Any addition meta information such as images, audio, etc.
> 	4) Misc. Info for manageing the above.
> 3) The documents are searchable either with boolean or ranked queries.
> 4) Links are autonomous and have attributes such as author, creation date,
>    etc.
> 5) The documents are capable of being anywhere from several K in size to
>    multiple GB in size.
> 6) Documents are dynamic and may be edited either with an editor or
>    remotely via a network.
> 7) Links remain intact even after a document has been edited.
> 8) Security features such as user groups and/or encryption may be used
>    to help ensure that only someone who has permission to view a document
>    or portion thereof may.
>
> I know that a lot of people on this list would love to bring Xanadu to
> pass.  (I know I sure would.)  I would like to try to find one or more
> people who would be interested in helping financially or otherwise to
> finish this project up and bring it to a point where it may be released.
>
> If you or someone you know would be interested, I would greatly appreciate
> hearing from you.
>
> Thank you,
>
> -Art
>
> Art Pollard <PollardA@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Moderator for Comp.Theory.Info-Retrieval
> List Maintainer for the Hyper-Theory (Hypertext Theory) mailing list.

Art Pollard <PollardA@xxxxxxxxxx>
Moderator for Comp.Theory.Info-Retrieval
List Maintainer for the Hyper-Theory (Hypertext Theory) mailing list.