Re: All of the WWW Available **Forever**

>Comments Xanni:
>
>EC>   transclude:[URL]:[date]:[segment(s)]
>
>>   Actually, we badly need URL extensions to support partial
>>   document addressing and version selection in a standardised
>>   way.  If we could address ranges within documents from a URL,
>>   it could be implemented using the new "Byte range" facilities
>>   in HTTP. [...]
>
>  The XML (Extensible Markup Language, the officially proposed
>  _replacement_ for the HTML) makes use of TEI's 'Xptr' (Extended
>  Pointer) mechanism, which makes possible both
>
>      "bidirectional, multi-way links, as well as links to a span
>       of text (within your own or other documents) rather than to
>       a single point." [reference below]
>
>  Ergo, I don't believe that proposing a separate URI type just
>  for textual trasclusion would make much sense. After all, why
>  shouldn't we be able to refer to AND possibly transclude
>  specific _regions_ within n-layer types of data?

Oh, OK. Does XML provide for referring to older versions of a text that the
publisher has replaced? That was the point of my proposal, now that there
is someone archiving the whole Web, with a plan to continue at regular
intervals.

>__Ian

Thanks. I'll go read up on it all.

--
Edward Cherlin       Help outlaw Spam     Everything should be made
Vice President     http://www.cauce.org      as simple as possible,