Re: Upgrading the news URL

On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Dan Fabulich wrote:

> Andrew Pam wrote:
>
> > Interesting - I knew that DejaNews had a significant archive of Usenet,
> > but I was not aware until now that they had committed to archiving all
> > of Usenet indefinitely.
>
> Er, they don't, and can't be expected to.  They have a gigantic chunk
> of Usenet, but I know for a fact that some articles I've written in the
> past year aren't on DejaNews.

That's why it makes sense to move towards a distibuted system.  It
wouldn't be too much of a problem for a newsserver to archive say 1 or two
newsgroups.  (Though some newsgroups have so much traffic......)  If this
were the case, newsgroups could be duplicated on multiple machines and
queries would get routed to all applicable machines.

> > Well, I have already done that part, but I think we need more than just
> > the transclusion syntax!  For one thing, DejaNews represents a potential
> > single point of failure.
>
> Yes, that was the other problem.  I mean, DejaNews could keep backups
> and mirrors, but I wouldn't want the whole system to be backed up by one
> organization.

True true...

-Art

Art Pollard                     | First there was WWI, next came WWII,
PollardA@xxxxxxxxxx             | last came the WWW.
Moderator for Comp.Theory.Info-Retrieval / List Maintainer for the
Hyper-Theory (Hypertext Theory) mailing list.