[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: "Is it Xanadu yet?"
- To: xanadu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: "Is it Xanadu yet?"
- From: Andrew Pam <avatar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 12:57:56 +1000 (EST)
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org> from "Michael Abrams" at Oct 1, 95 10:05:12 pm
- Organization: Xanadu Australia
- Reply-to: xanadu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Are we getting any closer to an Internet-based Xanadu? Are you willing to
> commit to an ETA?
I've forwarded your message to Ted, but here's my (unofficial) take:
* Project Xanadu (and Xanadu Australia) are now sponsors of Hyper-G.
Hyper-G was designed as an implementation of many of the Xanadu ideas
as expressed in "Literary Machines", but backwards compatible with
Gopher and WWW. It also has many clever ideas not proposed by Xanadu
such as full-text indexing, streaming video, and the P-flood
algorithm. I expect to see some interesting developments using
Hyper-G in the near future.
* I understand Gordon Whiting is working on a SQL based implementation.
* Ted has working prototypes of a Zippered List editor running on
Intelligent Pad at the Sapporo Hyperlab. This will be, to the best of
my knowledge, the first Xanadu front end (as opposed to the focus on
the back end over the last three decades).
* Ted is meeting with Marc Andreesen next week.
* I have some ideas of my own up my sleeve.
* We no longer make ETA announcements, due to the current reputation for
vapourware. We will only announce released products or beta programs.
* I don't feel that the vapourware charge is entirely fair, since Xanadu
per se has always been an idea or platform, irrespective of attempts
to create particular implementations. To that end, the name "Xanadu"
will now be applied as a label to certify any software meeting the
published specifications, whether written by one of the Xanadu teams
or by others.
I hope that goes some way to answering your questions; I am planning to
put these answers into the FAQ once I get time to revise it.
Share and enjoy,
*** AVATAR ***
<mailto:avatar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Andrew Pam
<http://www.aus.xanadu.com/xanadu/> Coordinator, Xanadu Australia
<http://www.glasswings.com.au/GlassWings/> Technical Editor, Glass Wings
<http://www.sericyb.com.au/sc/> Manager, Serious Cybernetics
P.O. Box 409, Canterbury VIC 3126 Australia Phone +61 3 96511511