RE: Anniversary of Xanadu Going Open Source

I generally agree with this.  If anything concrete (i.e. beyond the vision)
is to survive from Xanadu it must be the ideas, not the code.  Having looked
at the code I cannot understand the ideas (of course this is typical for
most code).  If Roger or another would explain these keys ideas, i.e.
"document" the implementation, we would all benefit.  Even if the "world
wide" web does not follow Xanadu, it might be desirable for certain users to
follow the Xanadu model of recording all the changes rather than editing in
place.  This becomes a more viable strategy as the cost for storage drops,
considering how small all text is.  It would be even more viable as
sequential media such as tapes become cheaper.  It might help with a variety
of real world problems, including backup and revision control.  It also
seems to match Gelertner's "lifestreams" model, i.e. might be preferable
from a user interface perspective.

Hopefully helpfully yours,
Steve
--
Steven Tolkin          steve.tolkin@xxxxxxx      617-563-0516
Fidelity Investments   82 Devonshire St. R24D    Boston MA 02109