Weekly Planning Meeting, 12/20

Highlights 12/20:

The big congratulations this week go to hill, who published alpha
4 (with help from hugh and ravi and I'm not sure who else), and
to ravi, who has gotten orgls & berts completely out of the docs
& links layer of interface.

Congratulations also go to the survivors of the Capabilities
Review. Whew! We seem to have a meeting like this once every
6-9 months. I shall do my best to ensure that these meetings
occur even less often :-)

Condolences to jacque, who logged all 197 of the issues that
we identified in the Review. Now, she gets to collate them so
we can track the collection.

We should be bringing out a short summary of the event soon,
along with a raw digitized version of the issue list. The one-sentence
synopsis is: we ran into some nasty questions, but I don't think
we ran into any show stoppers.

Meetings: Roland, bobp, markm, discuss ceran simplification.
Ravi, roger, discuss alpha 4. Hill, michael, dean, discuss sequence
number regression tests. Roger, roland, discuss formic & fluid
variables. Version 2 of the infinity meeting on Wednesday. Ravi,
dean, markm, talk about ent interface Wednesday at noon. Roger,
hugh, dean, ravi discuss system independent attributes for the
frontends.

Anyway, this week's task list is as follows:

A.       dean

x    12/20/89     basic FM for roger
     12/27/89     text edit in fm
     12/27/89     selection display in fm
     1/07/89     second generation of fm done
     1/07/89     allocation sequence numbers
     1/07/89     printing sequence numbers
     1/14/90     merge ent into alpha!!

B.       hill

x    12/19/89     publish alpha 4
x    12/19/89     install garbage collectino in tables
     1/14/90     get waldo test working
     1/14/90     merge ent into alpha!!
     1/21/89     write mail about X++ upgrades and garbage collection
     1/21/89     basket & grandmap use garbage collection
     1/28/90     fix exception handling with sensors between comm handlers

C.       hugh

x    12/19/89     help hill on alpha 4
     12/26/89     make tables self copy
     12/26/89     finish file generator
     1/07/89     text display from xanadu on mac
     1/14/89     make tables lazy on comm line
     1/14/89     update broadcast

D.       markm

x    12/19/89     spin up michael
     12/26/89     break permissions into subtasks for time estimate
     12/26/89     do clubs
     1/21/90     filtered backfollow
     1/21/90     respond to semantics email
     12/27/89     merge necromancers with dependencies
     12/27/89     merge necromancers with counted pointers
     1/21/89     fix frozen bert grab
     12/27/89     complete to do list from alpha 3

E.       marcs

x    12/19/89     Capabilities Review
     12/27/89     3 mac licenses of smalltalk
     12/27/89     more ram for hill
     1/02/90     get peter deutsch under nondisclosure
     1/14/89     figure out whether links are first class objects
     1/24/90      rough draft of AMIX/Xanadu frontend comparison
     1/24/90     rough draft AMIX/Xanadu integration plan
     1/24/90     start second round of patenting work

F.       michael

     12/26/89     start ent to urdi interface

G.       ravi

x    12/19/89     merge tables into current fe/febe stuff
x    12/19/89     orgls & berts out of docs & links
     01/02/90     proxify D&L classes
     01/02/90     put D&L in smalltalk
     1/14/90     waldo to data model with link schnert
     01/17/89     do comm in smalltalk

H.       bobp

x    12/19/89     final version of permissions in overview
     12/27/89     links & sensors in the overview
     1/03/90     overview complete
     1/03/90     get put on PERT

I.       roger

x    12/19/89     review fm
     12/27/89     translate fm
     12/27/89     hook alpha 4 to current frontend
     1/07/90     get fm running under open look
     1/14/90     follow a link
     1/21/90     link lists with simple documents in alpha
     1/28/90     traverse to acad, traverse from acad

J.       roland

     12/27/89     disjunction in formic
     1/07/90     eliminate && || in C++
     1/21/90     write grammar for formic
     1/21/90     parser with expression semantics
     1/21/90     xlint check for assign to a parameter variable and assignment to "this"
     1/28/90     automatic documenter

K.       Bill

x    12/05/89     fix thinLAN

J.       Lars

K.       Joel

x    12/20/89     company evaluations for ron
x    12/20/89     budget for marketing for xanadu to dana
     12/25/89     new info packet draft

L.       Jacque

     12/27/89     ken graham competitive searches
     12/27/89     digitize raw notes from the capability review
     12/27/89     draft short summary of the capability review

L.       Deferred Meetings:

     Roland, dean, discuss xlint commands in smalltalk.
     Markm, hill, discuss explicit deletion of orgls & refcount deletion.
     Markm, hill, discuss exception handling on sensors between comm handlers.
     Dean, roger, michael, markm, discuss sequence numbers of size 4 billion.
     Dean, markm, discuss intersecting backfollow ideas.
     joel, marcs, discuss terminology in X++ for developer release
(particularly necromancers and related tools)
     Ravi, roger, discuss common view.

M.       Unassigned

     merge contact databases
     scenario documents (markm, dean
     integrating ent is a nasty problem
     How well will canopy rebalancing perform?
     Tumblers as subclass of partiallyOrdered
     tutorial for users on the frontend
     reference manual for users on the frontend
     test scaffolding, code exercisers
     rollin, rollout a la Univac
     subaccounts, permissions on FE
     sys admin, i.e., archiving and partitioning disks

--marcs