if (c++ && x++)

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 89 11:23:07 PST
   From: roger (Roger Gregory)

	   From heh Mon Nov 27 23:11:00 1989
	     My reaction to the low road is that it is a bit too low...  This may be
	   an acceptable thing to provide, but should be the basis of a small library
	   that provides higher level function so that *each and every* C developer
	   doesn't create a set of C functions to do the same simple operations. ...

   Look at the 88.1 library.  It has little but FEvm and the febe interfaces.
   What else do developers want in C?  Suggestions highly appreciated.

Something at the level of the 88.1 library sounds reasonable. I think
where Hugh and I balk is at providing an interface at the level of
sending text strings across the wire, which is what MarkM's message
appeared to propose.

   There is a lot they don't want.  Most application  code falls into this category.
   They don't want display code.  They don't want user interface code.  What else is there?

Hugh has suggested that it would be worthwhile and not too difficult
to also provide some user interface libraries, such as the Xanadu
version of TextEdit, for each of the target systems. It sounds like a
good idea to me.

   They do need a working example, a complete application in C, that shows how the pieces
   fit together.

Definitely!
	--ravi