Everyone is arguing about copyright and electronic publishing; few pay
attention either to the law or the great possibility.
By law, the publisher is the person or entity responsible for published
content. And "Electronic Publishing" cannot, must not mean only closed
objects that have to be used separately. The great possibility is a
world of combinable objects that may be linked by users: OPEN
We want an enchanted grove, a fair playing field, where all connections
and quotations are allowed and sorted out. Copyright law by itself
won't do it; and so we extend the law by a system of contracts. If this
is a world in which you would like to work and play, Welcome to Xanadu.
BILL OF INFORMATION RIGHTS
in the Xanadu Publishing Universe
Copyright (c) 1993 Xanadu On-Line Publishing
AS A READER OR HYPERNAUT
- by connecting to one Xanadu supplier, you connect to the whole
- you may point and click indefinitely from document to document or
- you may send for any part of any published object in complete
privacy; no record is kept.
- you may keep what you send for (and get a receipt token to help file
- you may print it out and keep or give away the copy.
AS A PUBLISHER
- you may link to, comment on, append to any published document.
- you may quote any other document within the system by transclusion
pointer (the quotation is bought automatically from the original
- accordingly, you relinquish control of connections from other
- your document is kept inviolate.
- you may publish anything within the law.
- you take responsiblity for the contents and all possible violations
of law and tort-- just as you do in paper publishing.
AS A SUPPLIER
- you may locate anywhere, connect to your customers in any way.
- charge what you like for storage and connection.
- give credit, or accept payment or trade in any form.
"Xanadu" is a trade and service mark of
Xanadu On-Line Publishing
3020 Bridgeway #295, Sausalito CA 94965 USA